Hair Cutting Shears - Frequently Asked Questions
At the Scissor Mall, we feel that knowledge is power. Below we have frequently asked questions by stylists, along with the answers to these questions. The more knowledge you have about hair cutting scissors, the more equipped you will be to find the right shear for you. If you have any other questions that are not answered below, please give us a call at 1-801-425-0613 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact your local Distributor.
How Shears Are Made:
- Which steel qualities are better, those made in Japan, Korea, or Germany?
- What metals are used in my scissor?
- Can hairdressing scissors be made of 100% Titanium?
- What are the different categories of stainless steel used to produce hair cutting scissors?
- What is the order of stainless steels in terms of quality?
- Does stainless steel mean that my scissor is stain proof?
- Do Damascus steels, Miracle steels, or Smart steels exist?
- What is the difference between hand-forged shears and cast/stamped shears?
- What are hollow-grinding concave blades?
- What is a Convex edge? What is a Beveled edge?
- What is the difference between shiny-surfaced shears and satin-finished shears?
- My shears have a Titanium colored coating on them, does this mean they are made of Titanium?
- Do colored Titanium coatings make my scissor sharper?
- Is there a scissor that never needs to be sharpened?
Choosing the Right Shear for You:
- How should a shear feel in my hand?
- Why is it so important to find the right scissor for me?
- Why are there lighter and heavier shears?
- What is the right length of the scissor for me?
- What is a true left-handed shear?
- What are thinning/blending shears?
- What do thinning/blending shears with teeth on both blades do?
- What are texturizing shears?
- What are chunking/notching shears, fishback shears, and other specialty texturizers?
- What is the correct tension for a thinning, texturizing, or chunking shear?
- Why should a shear feel well balanced in my hand?
- What are the different handle configurations: off-set, opposing, and crane-handle?
- What are scissor finger inserts/rings?
Understanding the Ergonomics of Hairdressing Shears:
- What does it mean if a scissor is Ergonomic?
- What are some features of ergonomic scissors - swivel, double swivel, and bent thumb shears?
- I have hand, arm, shoulder, neck and back problems, what should I do?
- I cannot get used to a swivel scissor, what other scissor would you recommend to help the pain in my hands, neck, and shoulder?